Politics

Politicians attempted to silence me with $100k – Martey

Rev. Professor Emmanuel Martey

The immediate past Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Ghana Reverend Professor Emmanuel Martey has revealed that some politicians attempted to bribe him with $100, 000 to prevent him from making negative comments on national issues.

Prof. Martey, who failed to mention whether the politicians were NDC or NPP members alleged that the politicians also promised to give him a mansion at Trasaaco and a V8 vehicle if he remained silent on national issues.


To read the full piece from , click here.

Ghana’s new airline to fly October

Defunct Ghana International Airlines

A new national carrier for Ghana is expected to be flying by October this year, the Transport Minister Fifi Kwetey has announced.

Mr. Kwetey said his outfit has had extensive deliberation with key stakeholders to ensure reliable and efficient services.

The A new national carrier for Ghana is expected to be flying by October this year, the Transport Minister Fifi Kwetey has announced.

Mr. Kwetey said his outfit has had extensive deliberation with key stakeholders to ensure reliable and efficient services.


To read the full piece from , click here.

Highlight achievements of government, MMDAs urged

Ato Sarpong, Deputy Minister of Communication

Sunyani, Aug. 24, GNA - Regional Ministers have been tasked to highlight government’s achievements by the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) as the country approaches the 2016 general election.

Mr Ato Sarpong, the Deputy Minister of Communication, said this is the surest way to push the electorate to make informed choices and vote to retain the National Democratic Congress (NDC) government in the December 7 polls.


To read the full piece from , click here.

Don't allow politicians to foment conflict - Peace Council

Peace Council Boss

Mr Francis Azuumah, National Executive Secretary of the National Peace Council, has appealed to the Regional Early Warning and Response Teams of the Council not to show any bias towards politicians seeking to foment trouble.

He urged the teams to put aside political considerations and be bold to point out to them if they are causes of conflicts in the communities. Mr Azuumah said this at the inauguration of the Upper West Regional Early Warning and Response Board held in Wa.


To read the full piece from , click here.

World Bank provides funds for Tatale-Yendi road - President Mahama

President John Mahama

Accra, Aug. 25, GNA - Government has secured funding from the World Bank to construct a bituminous double surface dressing road from Tatale to Zabzugu to Yendi in the Northern Region, President Mahama has said.

He said proposals had been approved and now going through the tendering process for work to begin on the 80-kilometre road up to Natchamba which shared boundary with the Republic of Togo.

President Mahama said this when he addressed party supporters at Tatale in the Tatale-Sangule District as part of his four-day campaign tour of the Northern Region.


To read the full piece from , click here.

No budget overruns this election year - Minister

Cassiel Ato Forson, Deputy Minister of Finance

Accra, Aug. 24, GNA – Government is committed to ensure that there are no budget overruns this election year, Cassiel Ato Forson, Deputy Minister of Finance has said.

He said government is determined to sustain fiscal discipline while investing prudently in infrastructure and social development.

Mr Forson was speaking at the stakeholders’ consultation workshop on the 2017 budget in Accra.

The workshop was to solicit inputs from stakeholders in the planning, formulating, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of the national budget.


To read the full piece from , click here.

Ghana not ready for electronic voting –EC

Voter at a Polling Booth

The Electoral Commission (EC) has said Ghana is not ready for an electronic voting system despite technological advancement in the 21st Century.

The Chairperson of the commission, Charlotte Osei, said they arrived at the conclusion based on recommendations from the Special Reform Committee tasked to investigate the possibility of the system.

Ghana has since 1992 improved on its electoral processes. In 2012, the EC for the first time adopted biometric registration and verification in capturing voters’ information to enhance the processes.


To read the full piece from , click here.

Act firmly to cut out waste and corrupt practices – Minister

Professor Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang, Education Minister

Directors of education have been asked to do more to cut out the waste and purge the service of corrupt practices.

Professor Jane Naana Opoku-Agyeman, the Education Minister, said everything must be done to check the false claims, remove the ghost and fake teachers from the system.

She made the call in an address read for her at the 23rd annual meeting of the Conference of Directors of Education (CODE) in Kumasi.

“Investing in quality education for positive transformation of the youth for national development” is the theme chosen for the five-day event.


To read the full piece from , click here.

Government taken proactive policy actions to address risks

Seth Tekper, Finance Minister

Accra, Aug. 23, GNA – Mr Seth Tekper, Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, said the government has since 2015 taken proactive policy actions to address the various emerging risks in the economy.

He said world-class technical partners are fixing the technical issues that disrupted oil production at the Jubilee Field, which has resulted in two field production, storage and off-loading vessels (FPSOs) and two oil production fields are in place in 2016 as against only one in 2015.


To read the full piece from , click here.

Ghana News Agency gets Acting General Manager

Mohammed Nurudeen Issahaq

Accra, Aug. 23, GNA - The Board of Directors of the Ghana News Agency (GNA) has, in consultation with the National Media Commission (NMC), appointed Mr Mohammed Nurudeen Issahaq as Acting General Manager of the Agency.

His appointment took effect from July 4, 2016, following the departure of Mr Bernard Otabil, the former General Manager who has proceeded on an extended leave ahead of his resignation from the Agency effective September 4 this year.


To read the full piece from , click here.